— The Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for Denver Water’s Moffat Collection System Project is available for public review. The Colorado Front Range water supply project proposes to enlarge the existing Gross Reservoir in Boulder County, using existing infrastructure to divert water from the Fraser River, Williams Fork River, Blue River and South Platte River to Denver’s existing water treatment system during average and wet years.
The purpose of the Final EIS is to provide decision-makers and the public with information pertaining to the proposed project and alternatives, and to disclose impacts and identify mitigation measures to reduce impacts. The Corps is charged with the responsibility of impartially reviewing Denver Water’s proposal in light of environmental and other Federal laws.
In 2009, a Draft EIS was released by the Corps, public hearings were held and thousands of comments were received. The Final EIS was updated in response to comments received on the Draft EIS. The comments and the Corps’ responses to these comments are included in Appendix N of the Final EIS.
The Final EIS will serve as a basis for the Corps’ decision on whether to issue or deny a Section 404 Permit for the enlargement of Gross Reservoir. The Corps’ decision will be in the form of a record of decision, which will conclude the National Environmental Policy Act evaluation process. The record of decision will not be issued for several months.
The public is encouraged to review the Final EIS during an open comment period from April 25, 2014 to June 9, 2014.
The Final EIS is available online for viewing or download at: http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/Missions/RegulatoryProgram/Colorado/EISMoffat.aspx or printed copies are available for viewing at the following Colorado locations:
- Fraser Valley Library, 421 Norgren Road, Fraser, CO 80442
- Granby Library, 55 Zero Street, Granby, CO 80446
- Kremmling Library, 300 South 8th Street, Kremmling, CO 80459
- Anythink York Street Library, 8990 York Street, Thornton, CO 80229
- Denver Central Library, 10 West 14th Avenue Parkway, Denver, CO 80204
- Boulder Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302
- Arvada Library, 7525 West 57th Avenue, Arvada, CO 80002
- Golden Library, 1019 10th Street, Golden, CO 80401
- Summit County Library North Branch, 651 Center Circle, Silverthorne, CO 80498
- Summit County Library South Branch, 504 Airport Road, Breckenridge, CO 80424
- 1600 West 12th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Omaha District, Denver Regulatory Office, 9307 South Wadsworth Boulevard, Littleton, CO 80128
Written comments should be sent to: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Denver Regulatory Office, Attention: Rena Brand, Moffat EIS Project Manager; 9307 S. Wadsworth Blvd, Littleton, CO 80128. Comments can also be emailed to: email@example.com. Comments must be postmarked or received no later than June 9, 2014.
More information on the Final EIS and where to submit comments can be found at: http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/Missions/RegulatoryProgram/Colorado/EISMoffat.aspx.