Points of Contact

Collapse All Expand All

Lead: Omaha District
(402) 995-2448

Other Districts within the state:


Lead: Rock Island District
(309) 794-5325

Other Districts within the state:

  • Omaha District
  • St. Paul District
  •  Minnesota

    Lead: St. Paul District
    (651) 290-5204

    Other District within the state:


    Lead: Kansas City District
    (816) 983-3283

    Other Districts within the state:


    Lead: Omaha District
    (402) 995-2448

    Other Districts within the state:


    Lead: Omaha District
    (402) 995-2448

    Other Districts within the state:

     North Dakota

    Lead: Omaha District
    (402) 995-2448

    Other Districts within the state:

     South Dakota

    Lead: Omaha District
    (402) 995-2448

    Other Districts within the state:


    Lead: Omaha District
    (402) 995-2448

    Other Districts within the state:

    Disaster Preparedness

    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is prepared to provide immediate and effective response and assistance during emergencies and disasters. The preparedness program includes an emergency management organization, planning for disasters, training emergency response crews, maintaining flood fight supplies, and routinely inspecting Federal and non-Federal flood risk reduction structures.

    For individual preparedness, please visit www.ready.gov – Prepare, Plan and Stay Informed.

    USACE Assistance

    Types of Assistance

    • Participation in emergency seminars and exercises when requested by state or local officials.
    • Inspection of federal and non-federal flood control works and advisement to local officials of needed maintenance.
    • Technical assistance for development of plans at the state and local level.

    Criteria for Assistance

    State and local governments are responsible for emergency preparedness, including training and stock-piling of flood fighting supplies and materials. The USACE role is to supplement the maximum efforts of the state and local authorities during an emergency.

    Obtain Assistance

    Check the menu to the left to locate the USACE District Emergency Management Office nearest you.

    Frequently Asked Emergency Management Questions

    Collapse All Expand All
     During a Disaster
     What is a Staff gage? How do you make one? How do you measure changes in water depth?
    A staff gage is a long ruler placed in a water body that is used to measure water surface elevation or just to determine the rise/fall of the water surface over time. We have provided instructions for setting up your own staff gage.
     What is the USACE authority for conducting emergency operations? 

    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' emergency authorities, including those for flood fighting, are authorized under the provisions of Public Law 84-99, Flood and Coastal  Emergencies (33 U.S.C. 701n) (69 Stat. 186) as amended. 

    More information on PL84-99.

     How can USACE help during an emergency?

    USACE will provide technical advice and direct assistance on fighting floods when requested by States or Tribes. Other types of supplemental assistance are available under special circumstances. These are discussed below.

     What responsibilities do State, Tribal, and local interests have?

    State, Tribal, and local authorities should initiate a program of Disaster Preparedness, if they do not already have one. Such a program should include maintaining existing flood control projects, stockpiling or otherwise providing for sandbags and other material and equipment, and training personnel to handle emergency situations.

     What can USACE do to help in a flood fight? 

    When a flood occurs, USACE can undertake emergency operations to supplement local efforts to protect life and infrastructure. A declaration of a state of emergency or a written request from the Governor or Tribal Chairperson is required before support can be provided.

    Also required are local assurances of cooperation and indemnification of the United States from damages. USACE assistance may include furnishing flood fight materials and equipment and hiring equipment and operators for flood fight operations. The USACE can assume a leadership role in the fight if responsible local authorities are unable to cope with the situation. USACE efforts will cease when floodwaters have receded. 

    Protective or preventative measures taken during a flood fight will usually be of a temporary nature. After the fight is over, local interests are responsible for removing any temporary structures that the USACE installed. 

     Does USACE have sandbags available for distribution to State, Tribes, and local governments?

    The USACE has sandbags available but State governments and Tribes, should first make full use of their own resources. This includes stockpiling sandbags and other materials needed for immediate emergency response

    Sandbags provided by USACE are not for stockpiling and may only be provided in actual emergency situations when local supplies have been or will soon be exhausted. All loaned supplies and material are to be replaced in kind or the Government reimbursed for the costs of the materials. 

    Supplies of sandbags have been established at various District field offices. Local officials are to request sandbags and other flood fight materials through the State Division of Emergency Management, From there requests should be directed to the Omaha District, Emergency Management Branch, 402-995-2448 (24-hr emergency number). All issued supplies will be require issuing a hand receipt to a local responsible official.

     After a Disaster
     What is the USACE authority concerning post flood response efforts?

    The USACE authorities for post flood response activities are authorized under Section 917 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1986, Public Law 99-662. This amendment to Public Law 84-99 expands the USACE authority for providing emergency relief work following a flood or coastal storm disaster. 

     When do post-flooding response authorities take effect?

    All USACE post flood response work under Section 917 must be accomplished within ten days of the Governor's request for a preliminary damage assessment (PDA) and Federal disaster assistance under Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) PL 93-288 authority. 

     What responsibilities does the USACE have during a post flood response?

    Post flood response actions will vary with the type and severity of the emergency. The following guidelines dictate general policy: 

    • USACE assistance is limited to the preservation of life and/or improved property (i.e., residential/commercial developments and public facilities/services). Assistance to individual homeowners and businesses including agricultural property is not permitted. 
    • USACE  assistance will complement the maximum State, Tribal, and local efforts. Non-Federal interests must commit available resources (i.e. manpower, supplies, equipment, funds, etc.). 
    • USACE assistance will be temporary to meet the immediate threat. It is not intended to provide permanent solutions to flooding problems.
    • All emergency activities performed by USACE will be coordinated through the State Emergency Management Office, Tribal Council, and applicable FEMA Regional Office. 
    • USACE activities (with the exception of loaned supplies and equipment), will be 100 percent Federally funded. Reimbursement of State, Tribal, and local interests for their costs is not authorized.
    • Local assurances to provide necessary real estate and indemnification of the United State resulting from USACE response efforts is required.
     What assistance is available from the USACE after a flood?

    Assistance to a State or Tribe under the authority of Section 917 will be considered for the following categories: 

    • Clearance of key drainage channels or structures blocked by debris deposited during the flood.
    • Removal of debris and blockages of critical water supply intakes, sewer outfalls, bridge openings, etc. Additionally, removal of minimum debris necessary to reopen critical transportation routes. 
    • Temporary construction required to restore critical transportation routes or public services/facilities. 
    • Reduction and/or prevention of shoreline damage or beach erosion will not be undertaken unless there is an immediate threat to life or critical public facilities.
    • Other assistance required to prevent imminent loss of life or property as determined by the USACE District Commander. Work should be within the scope of emergency construction activities normally engaged in by USACE.
     How can I request the USACE assistance following flooding? 

    USACE post flood assistance will be limited to major floods or disasters resulting in life and/or property threatening situations. Specific guidelines for providing assistance are as follows:

    • A written request from the Governor or Tribal Chairperson to the USACE District Commander is required to receive assistance. The Governor or Tribal request must verify that he/she has requested FEMA to initiate a preliminary damage assessment. The request must also indicate the requested assistance is beyond the State's or Tribe's present capability to perform, identify specific damage locations, and indicate the extent of USACE assistance required to supplement current State, Tribe, and local efforts. The request should be transmitted concurrently with his/her request for FEMA's PDA. 
    • USACE assistance is limited to ten days following receipt of the Governor's or Tribe's written request. All work must be completed within the ten day period, or upon assumption by the State and local interests. The ten day work period is not affected by a subsequent Presidential declaration or denial. No extension of the ten day time limit will be granted. 
    • After the Governor's or Tribe's request for assistance has triggered the ten day period, subsequent requests for additional assistance resulting from the same flood or disaster will not extend the ten day period or trigger a new ten day period. 
    • The USACE will not take action on requests received subsequent to a Presidential declaration or denial.
     Assistance to Tribes
     How does PL 84‐99 apply to Tribes?

    USACE emergency assistance under PL 84‐99 during flood events is temporary in nature to meet the immediate threat and will be undertaken only to supplement Federally Recognized Tribal efforts. The assistance is to provide mitigation to critical public infrastructure only against floodwaters.

    USACE policy precludes the use of PL 84‐99 flood fight authority for protection of private residences and/or private developments unless such protection is afforded to critical public facilities and/or public infrastructure within the area to be protected. Tribes, just like the states, must commit all available resources, i.e. work force, supplies, equipment, funds, etc. as a general condition of USACE assistance.

    USACE emergency efforts are not intended to provide permanent solutions to flood problems and are provided strictly for the protection of public facilities and infrastructure. To request assistance from USACE, the Tribe may come directly to USACE with a request that includes a detailed assessment of the resources committed, the current actions of the Tribe, what type of assistance they are requesting (technical or direct), point of contact and specific details on exactly what the community is looking for in assistance. A sample Request for Assistance Letter is provided to each Tribe prior to the start of each flooding season.

     What are the limitations/challenges of the authority to provide assistance to Tribes?

    The USACE’s authority under PL‐84‐99 does not allow for compensation for actions taken by the Tribe (sponsor) during a flash flooding event. For example, placing Rip Rap to an eroding hillside to keep key roadways open to emergency responders cannot be compensated by USACE. PL‐84‐99 does not allow for the protection of homes/residential areas, Tribally owned housing or casinos do not fall within the defiinition of critical instrastructure. Although the structures may be Tribally-owned, they do not fall within the definition of critical infrastructure. Although funding cannot be provided, the USACE can provide technical advice on construction of temporary levees to help reduce flood damages to a residential area. 

     Is the Tribal Employment Rights Ordinance (TERO) applicable to flood fight contracts?

    TERO is applicable to private contractors working on tribal property. TERO does not apply to work being performed by Federal employees or to private contractors working on Federal property.

     How should USACE coordinate with the TERO office for contracts performed on tribal property?

    USACE is not a party to the TERO agreement. The TERO office and the contractor will need to coordinate with each other.  However, if possible USACE should make the TERO office aware of the potential contract and invite the TERO office to attend the site visit / pre-bid conference and offer to allow the TERO office to make any statements the contractors should be aware of when developing bids.  

     How does a TERO agreement affect the contract?

    TERO offices generally require contractors to sign an agreement with a levy of 2 percent of the contract value and with terms regarding employment arrangements for tribal members. The contractor is entitled to factor the 2 percent levy into the bid so ultimately the federal government pays the cost. This practice is similar to permits or state taxes a contractor is subject to. Because most flood fight contracts are extremely time sensitive, consideration must be given to requesting the TERO office waive enforcement of the employment arrangement portion of the TERO agreement. A contractor with a very short performance period may not be able to accommodate and orientate an unfamiliar workforce, potentially resulting in choosing not to bid or increasing the bid and jeopardizing a contract award. Waiver of terms of TERO agreements is strictly at the discretion of the TERO office. Requesting a waiver of TERO employment terms would best come from USACE on behalf of all contractors prior to bidding so that all contractors bidding on equal terms.