Igloo, SD: Black Hills Army Depot, Toxic and Radioactive Waste

Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program

Published April 15, 2015
The Black
Hills Army Depot (BHAD) is located eight miles
south-southwest of Edgemont in west central
Fall River County, South Dakota. The former
BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in
1942 on approximately 21,095 acres.

The Black Hills Army Depot (BHAD) is located eight miles south-southwest of Edgemont in west central Fall River County, South Dakota. The former BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in 1942 on approximately 21,095 acres.

Location and Description: The Black Hills Army Depot is located eight miles southwest of Edgemont in west central Fall River County, South Dakota. The former BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in 1942 on 21,095 acres. The facility was closed in 1967 and was transferred to the General Services Administration. Approximately 15,000 acres were sold to the city of Edgemont in 1968, and the remaining acreage was transferred to the U.S. Forest Service. Land use restrictions were attached to parcels containing the three burning grounds and the chemical area. 

Some of the former officers’ housing is owned and occupied by private citizens, which now comprise much of the town of Igloo. Local ranchers now use much of the property for grazing of sheep, cattle, and American bison. 

Problem and Response: The landowner has refused approval of the right of entry to complete the selected soil remedy. The former BHAD includes Munitions and Explosives of Concern (MEC), Chemical Warfare Material (CWM), and HTRW issues

Activities for 2015: Continue to pursue right of entry. Submit the draft and draft final Remedial Action Completion Report for the four HTRW sites for regulatory review. Conduct community relations activities, as needed. Secure a new project at AOC SS-04 to address potential groundwater issues. 

Issues and other information: The landowner has refused approval of the right of entry paperwork to complete the selected soil remedy. In 1999, a field investigation was conducted for the Omaha District by Baker Environmental at Operable Unit 2 Chemical Area. 

Investigative derived wastes (IDW) were drummed and left on site pending analytical profiling. To date, there are approximately 100 drums that are located “inside the fence” that have not been disposed of in accordance with regulatory criteria. These drums are on the property of John and Cindy Brunson. Numerous requests for right of entry have been refused by the Brunsons over the years. A removal effort was performed in 2003 to dispose of approximately 20 drums located outside of the fence. Drums containing IDW remain on the property due to refusal of right of entry by the landowner.


Igloo, SD: Black Hills Army Depot, Toxic and Radioactive Waste

Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program

Published April 15, 2015
The Black
Hills Army Depot (BHAD) is located eight miles
south-southwest of Edgemont in west central
Fall River County, South Dakota. The former
BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in
1942 on approximately 21,095 acres.

The Black Hills Army Depot (BHAD) is located eight miles south-southwest of Edgemont in west central Fall River County, South Dakota. The former BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in 1942 on approximately 21,095 acres.

Location and Description: The Black Hills Army Depot is located eight miles southwest of Edgemont in west central Fall River County, South Dakota. The former BHAD was constructed as a reserve depot in 1942 on 21,095 acres. The facility was closed in 1967 and was transferred to the General Services Administration. Approximately 15,000 acres were sold to the city of Edgemont in 1968, and the remaining acreage was transferred to the U.S. Forest Service. Land use restrictions were attached to parcels containing the three burning grounds and the chemical area. 

Some of the former officers’ housing is owned and occupied by private citizens, which now comprise much of the town of Igloo. Local ranchers now use much of the property for grazing of sheep, cattle, and American bison. 

Problem and Response: The landowner has refused approval of the right of entry to complete the selected soil remedy. The former BHAD includes Munitions and Explosives of Concern (MEC), Chemical Warfare Material (CWM), and HTRW issues

Activities for 2015: Continue to pursue right of entry. Submit the draft and draft final Remedial Action Completion Report for the four HTRW sites for regulatory review. Conduct community relations activities, as needed. Secure a new project at AOC SS-04 to address potential groundwater issues. 

Issues and other information: The landowner has refused approval of the right of entry paperwork to complete the selected soil remedy. In 1999, a field investigation was conducted for the Omaha District by Baker Environmental at Operable Unit 2 Chemical Area. 

Investigative derived wastes (IDW) were drummed and left on site pending analytical profiling. To date, there are approximately 100 drums that are located “inside the fence” that have not been disposed of in accordance with regulatory criteria. These drums are on the property of John and Cindy Brunson. Numerous requests for right of entry have been refused by the Brunsons over the years. A removal effort was performed in 2003 to dispose of approximately 20 drums located outside of the fence. Drums containing IDW remain on the property due to refusal of right of entry by the landowner.