Location and Description: The former Offutt Air Force Base, Missile Site 3 is located
five miles southeast of the city of Missouri Valley, Iowa. It was one of three Offutt Air Force
Base missile sites that, from its acquisition in 1958-1959 until it was declared surplus in 1965,
was used for the maintenance, storage, and potential launch of Atlas “D” intercontinental
The site structures included, but were not limited to, three launch and service
buildings, a launch operations building, a power plant and pumphouse, two remote rate stations,
a microwave building, two well pump houses, a vehicle storage building, two storage
magazines, access and patrol roads, sewage disposal lagoon, and security fence.
The U.S. Government originally acquired the 288-acre property by fee title and 178 acres
through easements in 1958-1959 for establishment of Site 3. As the Atlas “D” missile was
phased out and made obsolete, the missile complex was determined to be excess to the Air
Force mission requirements. The site was reported to the General Services Administration
(GSA) as excess real property in May 1965.
In August of 1967, the 288 acres of fee land
were withdrawn from excess and transferred to the jurisdiction and control of the Department of
the Army. In turn, the Department of the Army re-designated the installation as the Missouri
Valley National Guard Facility. A license was issued for a period of five years ending in August
of 1972 for use by the Iowa National Guard. Also, three leases were granted to individuals for
cattle grazing purposes.
In August of 1969, the license was terminated because the state no
longer had a need for the facility. In April 1970, the property was again reported as excess to
the GSA. In November 1971, the property was conveyed by the Department of Health,
Education, and Welfare to the Iowa Western Community College by quitclaim deed. The
property was to be used for educational purposes for 30 years. The only beneficial use was
limited to providing grazing land to tenant farmers.
Structures remaining onsite after the site was excessed included steel and concrete remnants of
the former launch service buildings, launch operations building, power plant and pumphouse,
seven smaller masonry and concrete buildings, and one metal-sided building. Demolition and
debris removal of all abandoned structures and buildings was completed in the late 1980s.
Demolition material was disposed of through onsite burial. Site 3 is now being developed for
residential housing. The remedial investigation activities are being conducted by district/inhouse
Activities for 2015: Conduct geophysical investigation and submit a report. Complete
and submit the Uniform Federal Policy for Quality Assurance Project Plans (UFP-QAPP)/work
plans for the remedial investigation activities to Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR)
for review and comment. Conduct field investigations. Interpret analytical data and prepare