Location and Description: The former Sioux Army Depot located west of Sidney,
Neb., encompassed approximately 20,000
acres and operated from 1942 to 1967. The
purpose of the installation was to receive, store, and issue Army ammunition, ammunition
components, and general military supplies.
Possible site contaminants include unexploded
ordnance and components; Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste; and explosives-residue contaminated soil and groundwater. The depot was constructed in four main areas:
the administration area – administration building, dispensary, fire and guard houses, mess hall,
and 74 main barracks;
(2) the utilities area – carpenter shop, lumber storage yard, machine
shops, garages, storehouses, boiler houses, power generating plant, underground and above
ground fuel and water storage tanks, locomotive maintenance buildings, and sewage treatment
(3) the combat equipment storage area – numerous warehouses and loading platforms;
(4) the magazine and ammunition service area – above ground magazines,
inspectors’ workshops, ammunition workshop area, bundle ammunition packing buildings,
ammunition packing buildings, receiving and shipping buildings, and classification rail yards.
Problem and Response: The widespread contamination, both ordnance and explosives
and HTRW, on this 20,000-acre property limit the quick study and completion of the
remediation. To accomplish the project, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proceeding with
both the investigations and remediation by subdividing the site into smaller pieces.