A Northern Pike caught in March 2013 while ice fishing on Lake Sakakawea/Garrison Dam Project on the Northeast side of the lake in Steinke Bay, which is near Sportsmen's Centennial Park access and Steinke WMA access. Ice Fishing is a popular outdoor winter activity for may North Dakotans.
Each winter, as the temperatures drop and the ice thickens, fisherman set up temporary structrues on Lake Sakakawea to support fishing on the ice.
Man drilling a hole for ice fishing.
Theee men ice fishing.
Ice Fishing Access Policy
1. Licensed, motorized vehicles must use existing public roads for entering and leaving ice fishing access areas. Some public roads often drift closed with snow and will not be plowed open. In these instances, operating a motor vehicle off-road to obtain access is not-allowed.
2. This policy targets that period of the calendar year in which Lake Sakakawea and Lake Audubon freeze over and until April 1 following the freeze over date or until the lake becomes ice free, whichever occurs first. This policy shall be re-evaluated on an annual basis to implement changes needed based upon fluctuating reservoir elevations.
3. Any winter activity performed on the ice can be hazardous and requires extreme caution. The Corps of Engineers does not encourage or recommend driving on ice at any time. Thin ice or open water may exist anywhere throughout the entire Garrison Project, and pressure ridges occur throughout the winter.
4. All Title 36 Regulations apply to the Ice Fishing Access Sites on Garrison Project lands.
5. North Dakota Game & Fish WMA Regulations apply within all Wildlife Management Areas located on Corps lands around the reservoir. Additionally, ND Game & Fish has specific regulations pertaining to the use of ice/fish/spearing houses within the State of North Dakota.
6. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service rules and regulations apply to all access points to Lake Audubon within the Lake Audubon National Wildlife Refuge. Please contact Lake Audubon NWR Headquarters for information concerning these access points.
7. Attached is a List of the Ice Fishing Access Sites Open for Use on Garrison Project. This policy shall remain in effect unless rescinded by the Operations Project Manager.
Ice Fishing Access Areas
Williston (Lake Sakakawea West)
Riverdale (Lake Sakakawea East)