Updated: June 30, 2015: The public comment period has been extended to Sept. 3, 2015.
LITTLETON, CO - The Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Northern Integrated Supply Project is now available for public review.
The project, coordinated by the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, seeks to provide approximately 40,000 acre-feet each year from a new municipal water supply. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is neither a proponent nor an opponent of the proposed project.
Jurisdictional waters of the United States would be directly impacted by NISP. Placing fill material in waters of the U.S. to construct water storage and distribution facilities associated with developing additional water supplies requires authorization from USACE under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act.
The NISP Supplemental Draft EIS is available for review on our Web Site. Additionally, Colorado libraries and offices where printed copies of the NISP Supplemental Draft EIS are available for review include:
- Colorado State University Morgan Library, 1201 Center Avenue Mall, Fort Collins, CO 80523
- Poudre River Public Library District-Old Town Library, 201 Peterson Street, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- Poudre River Public Library-Harmony Library, 4616 S. Shields Street, Fort Collins, CO 80526
- University of Northern Colorado, James A. Michener Library, 14th Ave and 20th St., Greeley, CO 80639
- Fort Morgan Public Library, 414 Main Street, Fort Morgan, CO 80701
- Windsor Recreation Center, 250 N. 11th Street, Windsor, CO 80550
- Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, 220 Water Avenue, Berthoud, CO 80513
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Denver Regulatory Office, 9307 S. Wadsworth Boulevard, Littleton, CO 80128
The USACE, Omaha District is soliciting written comments on the NISP Supplemental Draft EIS from the public; federal, state, and local agencies and officials; Native American Tribes; and other interested parties.
Public Open Houses and Hearings for oral/written comments will be held on:
- July 22, 2015 at the Hilton Fort Collins, 425 W. Prospect Road, Fort Collins, and
- July 23, 2015 at the Weld County Administration Building, 1150 O Street, Greeley.
Open Houses will be from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Hearings will begin at 6 p.m.
All written comments on the NISP Supplemental Draft EIS must be submitted by August 4, 2015 Sept. 3, 2015. Written comments should be submitted to:
John Urbanic, NISP EIS Project Manager
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District
Denver Regulatory Office
9307 S. Wadsworth Blvd.
Littleton, CO 80128
Background: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District released a Draft EIS for NISP on April 30, 2008. After receiving comments on the Draft EIS during the public comment period and public hearings, USACE determined substantial additional analysis was needed and a Supplemental Draft EIS was required. The Supplemental Draft EIS provides decision-makers and the public information pertaining to proposed actions and alternatives, and discloses environmental impacts and identifies mitigation measures to reduce impacts.
The Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District proposes to construct Glade Reservoir, with a total storage capacity of approximately 170,000 AF, as well as implement the South Platte Water Conservation Project, which includes Galeton Reservoir with a total storage capacity of approximately 45,624 AF. The proposed action would also involve rehabilitating an existing diversion dam and intake structure in the Cache la Poudre River and constructing a new forebay, pumping facility, and outlet channel.