YANKTON, S.D. – Hunters are reminded of tree stand requirements on Corps lands at Gavins Point Project. These lands are located in Yankton County, South Dakota; Clay County, South Dakota; Knox County, Nebraska; and Cedar County, Nebraska. In order to reduce resource damage, promote safe public use of project lands, and keep land use regulations similar to other public lands near the Gavins Point Project, hunters are reminded of the following requirements:
• Only portable tree stands and climbing devices may be used. The use of permanent or constructed tree stands is prohibited.
• Portable tree stands are permitted and may remain on project lands from 15 August through 15 February each year.
• Tree stands and related accessories are not permitted to pierce the bark of the tree or any vegetation. The use of nails, screws, bolts, wire, or screw-in spikes or steps is prohibited.
• Tree stands are required to have the owner’s name, current address and phone number clearly written on the tree stand and the writing must be legible from the ground.
• No more than three (3) tree stands from the same owner are permitted on project lands.
• Any other elevated platform device not attached to a tree must also conform to the specific dates and labeling requirements.
• Tree stands and hunting are not permitted within developed recreation or operations areas.
• All other applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations apply.
• Tree stands not in compliance with rules and regulations may be removed and impounded by Park Rangers.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reminds all hunters to think of safety while recreating. Always be courteous of other hunters and visitors on your public lands and remember to pack-in and pack-out all trash after the day’s hunt.
For more information about hunting at the Gavins Point Project, visit:
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission: http://outdoornebraska.gov/hunting/
South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks: http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/
Gavins Point Project Hunting Information: http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/Missions/Dam-and-Lake-Projects/Missouri-River-Dams/Gavins-Point/Hunting-Fishing-Details/
Release no. 17-078