Home
Home > Missions > Dam and Lake Projects > Additional Dams & Lakes
Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers! Prevent invasive species Water Safety Reserve a campsite at USACE campgrounds at Recreation.gov Purchase Navigation and Boating Maps from the Jefferson National Parks Association

Audubon Lake, North Dakota
Located 3 miles north of Coleharbor, N.D. on U.S. Highway 83 and 1 mile east. Audubon Lake, a sister lake to Lake Sakakawea, was also formed with the construction of the Garrison Dam near Riverdale, N.D. The two lakes are separated by an embankment, which carries US Highway 83. Audubon Lake makes up most of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Audubon National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge and Audubon National Wildlife Complex are named in honor of John James Audubon, a naturalist and wildlife painter during the 19th century. Audubon spent the summer of 1843 collecting bird specimens and painting pictures of northern plains wildlife in the area.

Bowman-Haley Dam & Lake, North Dakota
Located southeast of Bowman, N.D., Bowman-Haley Dam was constructed for flood damage reduction, fish and wildlife enhancement, recreation, as well as municipal and industrial water supply. Construction of the dam began in June 1964 and was completed in 1966. The dam measures approximately 5,730 feet in length, with a maximum height of 79 feet from the stream bed to the top of the dam.

Cold Brook Dam & Lake and Cottonwood Springs, South Dakota
Cold Brook Dam and Cottonwood Springs Dam were constructed to reduce flood damage in the Fall River basin. In years past, the Fall River was subject to flash flooding, causing damage to Hot Springs, S.D., and nearby rural areas. The Flood Control Act of 1941 authorized the construction of these two dams and the channel improvements within the community of Hot Springs.

Pipestem Dam & Lake, North Dakota
Located north of Jamestown, N.D. on Pipestem Creek, Pipestem Dam was constructed for flood damage reduction, fish and wildlife enhancement, and recreation. Construction of the dam began in June 1971, and was completed in 1973. The dam measures approximately 4,000 feet in length, with a maximum height of 107.5 feet from the stream bed to the top of the dam. Also nearby is the Jamestown Dam and Reservoir, which is operated by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.